Few things are better in life than spending quality time with your family. The following is a list of 7 family friendly activities to try this summer, right here in the Shenandoah Valley. All are affordable, but prices may change depending on the season so click the links for more information on each activity!
- Pick Blueberries at Hickory Hill Farm. Located in Keezletown, this family owned farm allows you to pick your own blueberries. Make sure to visit their website first to find out when the berries will be available.
- 50th Anniversary of Moon Landing at Explore More Discovery Museum. On July 20th, 1969, the first humans landed on the moon. The Children’s Museum in Downtown Harrisonburg is celebrating this historic moment this July 20th (10 AM – 1 PM) by making air-powered rockets, painting moon pictures, and many other space-themed activities.
- Virginia Safari Park. Does your family love interacting with animals? Then the Virginia Safari Park is the place for you. Drive at your own pace to see, and even feed the animals (special rules of course). This one is a little further away but it is worth the trip.
- Grand Caverns. Did you know the oldest continuously run caverns in the United States is just 15 minutes from Harrisonburg? Grand Caverns in Grottoes, a National Natural Landmark, offers one of the best caving experiences on the East Coast.
- Orland E. White Arboretum. About an hour drive north on 81 and you can visit this nearly 200 acres of absolute beauty. Designated as Virginia’s Arboretum, the Orland E. White Arboretum is a great adventure if your family loves to get outside and see native trees, shrubs, and more.
- Frontier Culture Museum. This is such a cool and amazing place. If your family loves history then this is a must visit. Located in Staunton just off of 81, it is an easy day trip for the family.
- The John C. Wells Planetarium. At James Madison University, this planetarium is a 2 million dollar state of the art facility which offers free family shows on Saturdays at 11am and 1pm; and free feature shows at 2:15pm and 3:30pm. Check the website for further details and any special summer/seasonal hours.